Akili Foods Limited FAQs
1) How can I purchase your products?
You can purchase any Akili Foods Limited product by calling our customer care number: +254 704309 577. You can also email us at email@example.com
2) Do you deliver to Thika and Nairobi?
Yes, we deliver in Thika and Nairobi at no extra cost, using a delivery service known as Sendy. Our deliveries within these two areas are usually done within the first 24 hours after an order has been placed.
3) What products does Akili Foods Limited offer?
Akili Foods offers a myriad of natural, healthy food supplement products such as herbal teas, capsules and nutrient dense powders. These products include:
- Pure, Natural Honey
- Pruna Tea
- Pruna Bark
- Pruna Capsules
- Moringa Powder
- Moringa Seeds
- Moringa Capsules
- Stinging Nettle Powder
- Hibiscus Tea
- Hibiscus Petals
- Green Tea
- Lemongrass Tea
4) What herbal teas does Akili Foods Limited offer?
Akili Foods offer a myriad of healing herbal teas such as:
- Pruna tea
- Pruna Bark
- Hibiscus tea
- Hibiscus petals
- Green Tea
- Lemongrass tea
5) Does Akili Foods limited offer capsules?
Yes, Akili Foods does offer capsules which are convenient for those with a busy lifestyle. Capsules are tasteless and odorless, making them a more appealing option for those who don’t enjoy the taste of superfoods. Our capsules include:
- Pruna Capsules
- Moringa Capsules
6) What are the health benefits of moringa seeds?
Moringa seeds are rich in nutrients and have been traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine for their medicinal properties. Here are some of the potential health benefits of moringa seeds:
- Rich in antioxidants: Moringa seeds are a good source of antioxidants, including flavonoids, phenolic acids, and vitamin C. Antioxidants help to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals, which can contribute to chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Moringa seeds contain compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is a normal immune response, but chronic inflammation can contribute to a range of health problems. By reducing inflammation, moringa seeds may help to prevent or manage conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, and obesity.
- Lower cholesterol: Moringa seeds may help to lower cholesterol levels, which can help to reduce the risk of heart disease. Studies have found that moringa seeds can lower total cholesterol and triglyceride levels while increasing levels of HDL (good) cholesterol.
- Improve digestion: Moringa seeds have been traditionally used to treat digestive problems such as constipation, bloating, and diarrhea. They contain compounds that have laxative and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to soothe and regulate the digestive system.
- Boosts immune system: Moringa seeds are rich in vitamin C and other immune-boosting nutrients, making them helpful in strengthening the body’s defenses against infections and illnesses.
Disclaimer: While moringa seeds offer several potential health benefits, it’s important to keep in mind that more research is needed to fully understand their effects. When used for consumption, always stick to 2-3 seeds per day. As with any supplement, it’s also important to speak with a healthcare provider before taking moringa seeds, particularly if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medication.
7) How can I use Moringa Seeds?
Moringa seeds can be used in three different ways:
- For consumption: We recommend sticking to 2-3 seeds per day. You can chew and wash it down with some water.
- i) Avoid chewing or swallowing moringa seeds on an empty stomach. Always consume them after a meal to avoid getting a stomach ache.
- ii) Do not take more than 3 -4 moringa seeds per day. Consuming too many at a time can cause an upset stomach or act as a laxative.
iii) Pregnant women are advised to refrain from using herbal medications.
- iv) If you are on any medication, seek medical guidance before using moringa seeds to avoid any unwanted interactions.
- For water purification: To use them for water purification purposes, you’ll need to remove the outer covering of the seeds and grind them into powder using a mortar. Please note that 50-150 mg of ground Moringa seed treats one liter of water, depending on how clear the water is. After you have the powder, follow the below instructions:
- i) Mix the powder with a small quantity of clean water in a small cup.
- ii) Pour the mixture through a tea strainer or sieve into a cup. It’s best to cover the strainer with a piece of clean cloth.
iii) Add the resulting milky fluid to the water you wish to purify.
iv.Stir quickly for 30 seconds, then slowly and regularly for five minutes.
- v) Cover the water and do not disturb it for at least an hour.
- vi) The clean water may be siphoned or poured off the top of the container.
c. For planting: If you’ve always wanted to start a moringa farm or own a moringa tree, you can use these seeds to plant your own. To improve their survivability rate, we recommend using our Akili Water Retainer or Akili Biochar. You can shop this online, on our website as well.
8) How can I incorporate moringa powder into my diet?
You can use moringa powder in a number of ways. They include:
- Sprinkling the powder onto salad, boiled/fried eggs, porridge, oatmeal and vegetable salad just to name a few.
- Blending the powder into your smoothie
- Stirring the powder in hot water to make some moringa tea. We recommend adding some honey to this mixture for some flavor. You can also stir the powder into stews, soups, and porridge.
- Adding it to your baked goods. You can add a teaspoon or two of moringa powder into your baking ingredients. Everything from moringa pancakes, moringa muffins and moringa banana bread. You can follow us on Social Media to find our recipes by clicking here, or join our Akili Natural’s WhatsApp Group by clicking here.
9) What are the benefits of Moringa?
- Moringa is considered a superfood because it is rich in essential antioxidants. Antioxidants are known to fight chronic inflammation in the body, a condition linked to the development of diseases. In other words, moringa helps prevent the development of diseases.
- This superfood is also rich in Vitamin C (great for boosting immunity and improving skin health), vitamin K (known to help improve eyesight), potassium (supports muscle contractions and maintains normal blood pressure), and calcium (necessary for the maintenance of strong bones). It is also a rich source of protein.
10) Why should I use Stinging Nettle Powder?
Stinging nettle powder is derived from the leaves of the stinging nettle plant, which has been traditionally used in herbal medicine for centuries. If you’re on the fence about it, here are some of the potential benefits of using stinging nettle powder:
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Stinging nettle powder contains compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce inflammation throughout the body. This can be helpful in managing conditions such as arthritis, allergies, and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Relieves allergy symptoms: Stinging nettle powder has been found to be effective in reducing the symptoms of seasonal allergies, such as sneezing, runny nose, and itchy eyes. This is because it contains compounds that act as natural antihistamines.
- Supports urinary health: Stinging nettle powder has been traditionally used to support urinary health and treat conditions such as urinary tract infections and kidney stones. It has diuretic properties, which can help to flush out toxins and bacteria from the urinary system.
- Boosts circulation: Stinging nettle powder contains iron, which is essential for healthy blood circulation and oxygenation. Iron also plays a role in the production of red blood cells, which can help to prevent anemia.
- Rich in nutrients: Stinging nettle powder is a rich source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and iron. It is also high in antioxidants, which can help to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
Disclaimer: It’s important to speak with a healthcare provider before using stinging nettle powder, particularly if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medication.
11)How is Stinging Nettle Powder used?
Stinging nettle powder can be used in a variety of ways, depending on the individual’s needs and preferences. Here are some common ways that stinging nettle powder is used:
- Capsules: Stinging nettle powder can be found in supplement form in capsules. Capsules provide a convenient way to consume stinging nettle powder and allow for easy dosing.
- Tea: Stinging nettle powder can be used to make tea by steeping the powder in hot water for several minutes. The resulting tea can be consumed as is, or sweetened with honey or another natural sweetener.
- Smoothies: Stinging nettle powder can be added to smoothies or other beverages for a nutrient boost. It can be blended with other fruits, vegetables, and superfoods to create a healthy and delicious drink.
- Cooking: Stinging nettle powder can be used as a natural food coloring or flavoring agent in recipes. It can be added to soups, stews, sauces, and other dishes to enhance their nutritional value.
Disclaimer: When using stinging nettle powder, it’s important to follow the recommended dosage instructions and to speak with a healthcare provider before starting any new supplement regimen, particularly if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medication.
12) Where does Pruna tea, Pruna Bark or Pruna capsules come from?
Pruna tea and Pruna bark is sourced from the Prunus africana tree species that is native to the highland regions of Africa. It is also known as the African cherry or Pygeum, and it is valued for its medicinal properties. Here are some key facts about the Prunus africana tree:
- Medicinal uses: Prunus africana bark has been traditionally used in African medicine for the treatment of various ailments, including prostate problems, malaria, and stomach disorders. It is particularly valued for its ability to treat enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH) and improve urinary function.
- Sustainability concerns: The bark of the Prunus africana tree is in high demand for medicinal use, which has led to over-harvesting in many parts of Africa. This has raised concerns about the sustainability of the species, and efforts are being made to promote sustainable harvesting and cultivation practices.
- Habitat: The Prunus africana tree grows in mountainous regions of Africa, particularly in the highlands of Kenya, Tanzania, and Cameroon. It is a slow-growing tree that can reach up to 40 meters in height and 2 meters in diameter.
- Active compounds: The bark of the Prunus africana tree contains several active compounds, including phytosterols, fatty acids, and triterpenes, which are believed to be responsible for its medicinal properties.
In summary, the Prunus africana tree is a valuable medicinal plant that is native to Africa. At Akili Group, for every Pruna bark we harvest, we also plant a new tree. This goes hand in hand with our environmentally conscious practices to help mitigate climate change.
13) What are the benefits of Punus Africanus?
Pruna bark, sourced from the Prunus Africanus tree, has long been used in traditional medicine to heal certain ailments such as stomach aches, malaria, chest pains and even prostate issues etc. Today, numerous research points to its ability in preventing, treating and managing prostate-related and urinary health issues. Women and men can also use it to treat age related incontinence.
14) Is there such a thing as too much pruna tea?
If you decide to drink Prunus africana tea, it’s recommended to start with a small amount and gradually increase the dosage as needed. You can start with one cup per day and gradually increase to 2-3 cups per day if you tolerate it well and experience no adverse effects. It’s also important to listen to your body and stop using Prunus africana tea if you experience any negative side effects or discomfort.
15) How do I prepare pruna tea using pruna bark?
Scoop a few chunks into a sufuria (pot) and boil for at least three minutes. You’ll want to use enough water to account for what will be lost during evaporation. After it’s boiled, take it off the burner and let it steep for five minutes to allow the nutrients, taste and color to leach into the hot water. You can add lemon juice and/or honey for taste, and an extra nutritional boost.
16) Why pruna capsules?
Taking capsules is generally more convenient for those that have busy lifestyles and are constantly on the road. This is because they are more portable and easier to take on-the-go, making them a very popular choice.
17) How many pruna capsules can I take in a day?
Take two pruna capsules a day but in spaced-out intervals. One in the morning, the other at midday, or before going to bed. Since pruna capsules are supplements, you are advised to take them with food – right before eating your meal. This will ensure optimal absorption of the supplements’ nutrients. Doing so will also help reduce the chances of a stomach ache and improve digestion.
18) How is Hibiscus tea beneficial?
Hibiscus tea is a herbal tea made from the dried flowers of the Hibiscus sabdariffa plant. It has been traditionally used in various cultures for its medicinal properties, and research has also shown several potential health benefits of hibiscus tea. Here are some of the main health benefits of hibiscus tea:
- May lower blood pressure: Some studies have suggested that hibiscus tea may have antihypertensive effects, which means it may help lower blood pressure levels. This is thought to be due to the presence of certain compounds, such as anthocyanins and flavonoids, which have vasodilatory effects and can help relax the blood vessels.
- May lower cholesterol levels: Hibiscus tea has also been found to have cholesterol-lowering effects in some studies. This may be due to its high content of antioxidants, which can help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body, both of which can contribute to high cholesterol levels.
- May improve liver health: Some studies have suggested that hibiscus tea may have hepatoprotective effects, which means it may help protect the liver from damage. This is thought to be due to its high content of antioxidants, which can help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the liver.
- May have anticancer properties: Some studies have found that hibiscus tea may have anticancer properties, as it has been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells in test-tube and animal studies. However, more research is needed to determine the exact mechanisms behind this effect and to see if it has the same effect in humans.
- May have antibacterial properties: Some studies have suggested that hibiscus tea may have antibacterial effects, which means it may help fight against certain bacteria. This is thought to be due to the presence of certain compounds, such as polyphenols and organic acids, which can help inhibit the growth of bacteria.
- Overall, hibiscus tea is a refreshing and flavorful beverage that may offer several potential health benefits. However, it’s important to note that more research is needed to fully understand its effects on human health, and it should not be used as a replacement for medical treatment.
19) How do I prepare hibiscus tea using hibiscus petals?
To prepare tea using hibiscus petals, follow these simple steps:
- Boil water: Start by boiling 2-3 cups of water in a pot or kettle.
- Add hibiscus petals: Once the water has boiled, remove it from the heat and add 2-3 tablespoons of dried hibiscus petals to the water. You can adjust the amount of petals depending on how strong you like your tea.
- Steep the tea: Cover the pot or kettle and let the tea steep for 5-10 minutes. This will allow the hibiscus petals to release their flavor and color into the water.
- Strain the tea: After steeping, strain the tea to remove the hibiscus petals. You can use a fine mesh strainer or a tea infuser to do this.
- Sweeten if desired: If you like your tea sweet, you can add natural, pure honey like Akili Foods honey, sugar, or another sweetener of your choice to taste.
- Serve and enjoy: Pour the tea into a cup or mug and enjoy! You can serve it hot or chilled, depending on your preferences.
20) How can I best prepare hibiscus tea using the hibiscus teabag?
Preparing hibiscus tea using a hibiscus tea bag is very easy. Here are the steps to follow:
- Boil water: Boil ½ cups of water in a kettle or on the stove.
- Prepare teapot or mug: Place one hibiscus tea bag in a teapot or mug.
- Pour hot water: Pour the hot water over the hibiscus tea bag in the teapot or mug.
- Steep the tea: Allow the hibiscus tea bag to steep in the hot water for 5-7 minutes to allow the flavor and color to fully develop.
- Remove tea bag: After steeping, remove the hibiscus tea bag from the teapot or mug.
- Sweeten if desired: If you prefer sweet tea, add pure, natural honey like Akili Foods honey, sugar, or another sweetener of your choice to taste.
- Serve and enjoy: Pour the hibiscus tea into a cup or mug and enjoy. You can serve it hot or chilled, depending on your preference.
Please note: You can reuse the hibiscus tea bag if desired, but the flavor will be weaker with each subsequent use. Also, be careful not to over steep the tea, as it can become bitter.
21) Why should I start drinking Lemongrass tea?
There are several potential health benefits to drinking lemongrass tea. Some of these include:
- Helps digestion: Lemongrass tea has been traditionally used to treat digestive issues, such as stomach cramps, bloating, and constipation. It may also help to stimulate the production of digestive enzymes, which can improve the breakdown and absorption of nutrients.
- Supports immune system: Lemongrass contains antioxidants and antimicrobial properties that can help to strengthen the immune system and fight off infections.
- Reduces inflammation: Lemongrass contains compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce inflammation throughout the body. This may help to alleviate symptoms of conditions such as arthritis, asthma, and other inflammatory diseases.
- Relieves stress and anxiety: Drinking lemongrass tea may help to reduce stress and anxiety due to its calming and soothing properties. It serves well as an afternoon tea.
- Promotes healthy skin: Lemongrass is rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect the skin against free radical damage and premature aging. It may also help to reduce acne and other skin blemishes due to its antibacterial properties.
22) What is the best way to enjoy any Akili Foods tea?
You can enjoy our wide range of teas by:
- Add a teaspoon or two of Akili Foods natural honey. Our natural honey has no preservatives, contaminants, colorings, or additions. It’s 100% pure, making it the perfect healthy alternative choice to sugar. Its pureness also lends well to its natural sweetness. It’s little wonder it’s among our top-selling products.
- Add some lemon juice to your tea recipes. Lemon helps add an extra taste and boost the nutrient value of the tea.
- Add mint leaves: Mint leaves have several potential health benefits, including improved digestion, relief of nausea and headaches, freshening breath, reducing stress and anxiety, boosting the immune system, and supporting respiratory health.
- Add some milk.
- Add ice cubes to enjoy your herbal tea chilled.
23) What are the health benefits of drinking Green Tea?
Green tea is a popular beverage that has been used for centuries for its potential health benefits. Here are some of the potential health benefits of drinking green tea:
- Rich in antioxidants: Green tea is rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect the body against free radical damage and prevent chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Boosts metabolism: Green tea contains catechins, which are natural antioxidants that may help to increase metabolism and promote fat burning.
- Lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease: Green tea has been shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by lowering cholesterol levels, reducing blood pressure, and improving blood vessel function.
- Reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes: Green tea may help to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance.
- Promotes healthy brain function: Green tea contains caffeine and L-theanine, which can improve brain function, mood, and cognitive performance.
- Reduces the risk of cancer: Green tea has been shown to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, such as breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer.
- Improves dental health: Green tea may help to improve dental health by reducing the risk of cavities, gum disease, and bad breath.
24) How many cups of green tea can I have in a day?
Stick to two or three cups of green tea a day (according to an observational study by Harvard T.H Chan, School of Public Health). Herbal teas, as beneficial as they are, should not be overconsumed. The only way to enjoy the benefits of green tea, and any other herbal tea is by consuming it in moderation (2-3 cups of herbal tea a day).
25) How many moringa capsules can I take in a day?
You can take as many as two moringa capsules a day. We recommend spacing them out: one in the morning with breakfast and one at dinner. Moringa capsules, like moringa powder and Pruna capsules, function as supplements, giving the body extra nutrients that may not be present in a person’s daily diet.
You are advised to take them with food, to ensure optimal absorption of the supplements’ nutrients, reduce the chances of experiencing a stomach ache and improve digestion.
26) What are the health benefits of Honey?
Honey is a natural sweetener that has been used for centuries for its potential health benefits. Here are some of the potential health benefits of honey:
- Rich in antioxidants: Honey is rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect the body against free radical damage and prevent chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Soothes sore throat: Honey has antibacterial properties and can help to soothe a sore throat and alleviate coughs.
- Promotes wound healing: Honey has natural antibacterial properties and can help to promote wound healing and reduce the risk of infections.
- Provides energy: Honey is a natural source of carbohydrates and can provide a quick source of energy.
- Boosts immunity: Honey has antibacterial and antiviral properties that can help to boost the immune system and protect against infections.
- Helps with digestion: Honey has natural antibacterial properties that can help to improve digestion and alleviate stomach issues such as diarrhea and indigestion.
- Improves sleep: Honey may help to improve sleep quality by promoting the release of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep.
27) What makes Akili Foods Natural honey so different?
Our Akili Foods natural honey is 100% pure, with no preservatives, colorings or artificial flavors. It meets the premium standard of quality, with its pureness vouched for by a number of repeat customers.
- Its pure quality allows its users to reap the full benefits of honey, which include a boost in immunity, strengthening the body against flu and colds. This is all thanks to its high- antioxidant content which helps prevent, fight and treat inflammation. This characteristic means that it can be applied topically to treat wounds.
- Its natural sweetness makes it easy to incorporate into your daily diet. ie. spread on bread, added to baked goods, stirred in tea/coffee, etc.
Akili Foods produces natural products that are intended for general health and wellness purposes. However, we are not medical professionals or doctors. The information provided by Akili Foods is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
If you have a medical condition or are currently under medical treatment, we strongly recommend consulting with a qualified healthcare provider before using our products. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
It is important to always follow the recommended usage instructions and dosages provided on our product labels or as advised by a healthcare professional. Any information provided by Akili Foods is for educational purposes only and should not be considered as medical advice.
Individuals with known allergies or sensitivities to any of the ingredients in our products should avoid using them. If you experience any adverse reactions or discomfort after using our products, discontinue use immediately and consult a healthcare professional.
Remember, the decision to use our products is solely at your own discretion, and it is important to prioritize your health and seek medical advice for any medical concerns or conditions.