Vision, Mission & Core Values
To be a leader in the creation of business models for sustainable holistic economic development in rural households
We co-invest with communities and, in partnership with social investors, donors and government, provide the tools and assistance necessary to implement holistic, environmentally sustainable and profitable value adding programmes in rural communities.
- Integrity: We aim, in all our business to uphold integrity
- Transparency: We seek to maintain transparency with our partners and stakeholders
- Fairness: We seek to ensure fairness for all members of every value chain programme we engage in
- Value Addition: We are committed to value addition for all within our value chains, and especially to donor and benefit the poor.
The Problems We seek to Solve
- Agricultural production is generally unprofitable – subsidized by ‘diaspora’-based relatives, government and/or NGOs
- Education is valued, highly funded, but almost NEVER applied in small-scale agriculture.
- Common: A general state of poverty, except among traders, brokers and the employed, eg teachers. Result: rapid urban migration to overstretched cities.
- In nearly all rural communities (which account for 80% of Kenya’s population) there is progressive deterioration: of security; of the economy; of the environment; of the quality of life.
A dairy cow, for example is maintained at over Shs 300 ($3) but only produces 3 litres of milk, which fetch a maximum of Shs 100 ($1). Pastoralists keep a cow for five years, at a cost of around Shs 30,000 ($300) only to sell it for Shs 15,000 ($150) or lose it during drought.
Entire Value Chain Approach
Achieving Long-Term Change
Improved Quality of Life
Akili Development Sacco
Akili Development Organization
Through ADO we also provide consultancy services in the development of last mile; carbon offset services. We also consult with organizations supporting value chain development programmes in rural areas.