Vision, Mission & Core Values
To be a leader in the creation of business models for sustainable holistic economic development in rural households
We co-invest with communities and, in partnership with social investors, donors and government, provide the tools and assistance necessary to implement holistic, sustainably profitable, value adding programmes in rural communities.
- Integrity: We aim, in all our business to uphold integrity
- Transparency: We seek to maintain transparency with our partners and stakeholders
- Fairness: We seek to ensure fairness for all members of every value chain programme we engage in
- Value Addition: We are committed to value addition for all within our value chains, and especially to donor and benefit the poor.
The Problems We seek to Solve
- Agricultural production is generally unprofitable – subsidized by ‘diaspora’-based relatives, government and/or NGOs
- Education is valued, highly funded, but almost NEVER applied in small-scale agriculture.
- Common: A general state of poverty, except among traders, brokers and the employed, eg teachers. Result: rapid urban migration to overstretched cities.
- In nearly all rural communities (which account for 80% of Kenya’s population) there is progressive deterioration: of security; of the economy; of the environment; of the quality of life.
A dairy cow, for example is maintained at over Shs 300 ($3) but only produces 3 litres of milk, which fetch a maximum of Shs 100 ($1). Pastoralists keep a cow for five years, at a cost of around Shs 30,000 ($300) only to sell it for Shs 15,000 ($150) or lose it during drought.
Entire Value Chain Approach
Achieving Long-Term Change
Improved Quality of Life
Akili Development Sacco
Akili Development Organization
Through ADO we also provide consultancy services in the development of last mile; carbon offset services. We also consult with organizations supporting value chain development programmes in rural areas.